Sunday, June 29, 2008

......discouragement

O.k. so Sundays are supposed to be a day of worship and rest. My husband and I have not been very faithful to church after we got pregnant with my daughter. We have gone off and on, but not on a regular basis, partly because we are from different "backgrounds." We have made the decision to start going regularly on Sundays and have started the journey to find a church we both like and can get involved in. So, the first Sunday I found myself, with my 2 kids and my dad, going to try the first church by ourselves. My husband plays football on Sundays, and the game was at the 11:00 hour when I wanted to go to church. We were going to attend at 6:00pm, but the church was not having a service that night (it was Father's Day). So, the next Sunday we went at 6:00 together as a family (because again he had a game). Although I want to go to church together as a family on Sunday MORNINGS, I have agreed to be flexible with him and his schedule and go later if we need to.

I was a bit excited yesterday when my husband told me that they had cancelled the football games for the next two Sundays. I was looking forward to being able to go to church in the morning with all of my family. So, we tried a different church, one I thought that we might both enjoy. When we got there, the people were friendly, the nursery workers welcomed us and helped us get the kids in their proper places. I felt very comfortable with the security of the childcare (this is VERY important to me).

So, as the church service started, the band started to play. Let me go back a little bit and tell you that my husband and I are both more on the "Traditional" side than the "Contemporary" side. I like some of the Contemporary Music, but we don't like to feel like we are at a rock concert when we go to church. For some people, this works, but it's not something we prefer. Which is how I felt when the church service started. My husband and I both looked at each other and smiled.

The sermon was good. He preached on Joy. The majority of what he had to say, I agreed with. There was something he said about the "circumstances" surrounding the story in the Bible that I had never heard before. I am not going to say that it was not true; I need to research it. I have been in church since I was born, and even went to Bible College, but I have never heard those premises before. Again, I will need to research it. So, I will not say that he is wrong, but it makes me wonder. I am not one that just listens to what someone says and takes it as the truth. I like to research it and make sure that it is the truth.

So, as another week passes, we still do not have a place that we will call our church "home." There are a few other places I would like to take him and try, so I pray that God will open his heart to that.......

1 comment:

Angela said...

It's great that you've found a good book that is telling you what you need to hear and not just what you want to hear! Of course the hardest part is always applying the things you read about.

I can tell you for sure that being in church really helps. When Dustin and I got married, we went through a short phase where we were attending faithfully only on Sunday mornings, and the rest of the services were very sporadic. I don't even know how that happened since we both grew up going to church incredibly faithfully. When we finally decided to make the commitment to go to every service, it made a huge difference. Something else that helps -- having a quite time and praying together every day.